Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Indian + Italian + Fusion

Finally my gold mine is opened for digging after their yearly maintenance and renovation works completed 2 days ago. As the proud owner of it, wifey and I went there for a visit in the afternoon. The gold mine was so nicely upgraded that I couldnt resist grabbing a few carats of gold out and spend it on food!!! For lunch we had banana leaf rice at Bangsar (i couldnt remember the name of the restaurant but its the one next to AmBank). For dinner we had Italian food at Cafe 1920 at Bangsar Village and for dessert we headed for Ms. Read's Delicious also at Bangsar Village. Yeah I know, everything is in Bangsar. The place for the richesss!!! So the entry today is to review these 3 restaurants and this time I'll try to keep it short to make sure that I complete the review.

It was the 2nd time that we went to the Banana Leaf Restaurant. The first time was with Ayil.. yeah, the rich friend of ours. I like the food there because of the Indian food. The curry, the gravy on top (kuah taruk atas), pappadom and etc. Well the concept of banana leaf rice is that they include the set with banana leaf as the plate (duhh!!), white rice or briyani rice, pappadom, cucumber cooked with coconut milk or cow's milk, bittergourd tempura (peria goreng tepung) which sometimes is exchanged with ladyfingers tempura, spinach cooked with dhall and fried chilli. For gravy you can choose from dhall gravy, chicken curry or fish curry. As for me, I love to have it all and follow the legacy term of "kuah campur". For vegeterians, this can be considered as a complete meal but for people like me, I need a main dish. So you can choose either to have fried fish, chicken, beef masala, mutton, crab, squid, prawn or anything under the sun. As for drinks, their lassi is nothing to shout about. I had plain ice water which is served in a metal glass (which is it now? glass or metal?). So authentic huh? Im very happy with the meal and gladly paid RM23 for a two person meal. RM10 for the chicken briyani that wifey can't finish, RM4 for the white rice banana leaf set, RM5 for the fried blotted fish (ikan kembung goreng) and RM4 for drinks. Since I haven't tried any other banana leaf rice restaurants, I give it a 9.95/10.

Next, Italian dinner. The ambience at Cafe 1920 is pleaseful. Comfortable chairs, well lighted surroundings and cozy setup. The foods are on the so-so side. Wifey had spagethi marinara and I had Pizza Bianca. Wifey commented that she preferred the sauce to be more tomato-ish instead of cheezy-ish. The Pizza Bianca was interesting. In the menu, the pizza was described as "no tomato sauce, beef bacon, turkey ham and cheese only" and there's a symbol that state "Trust the chef" next to the description. Let me tell you guys this, "Never trust A Skinny Chef and Cafe 1920's chef". As for drinks, wifey had a apple cinnamon tea which she didn't offer to me to even taste. I has cappucino brewed by a Lavazza Espresso Machine which cant compare to my favourite Starbuck's soy cappucino. Paid RM53 plus for the meal which I rate 5/10 but at least we got our 1st hour parking free for spending more than RM30 in one receipt.

Since there's no prayer room in Bangsar Village, we decided to have dessert at Ms. Read's Delicious. Not that we didnt want to find other place to pray but it was raining cat and mouse outside which leaves us with no choice but to eat some more. This is our 2nd visit to Delicious which our first visit left us the impression that it is an overpriced restaurant. But that was breakfast. What would you expect from a shop that sells clothes to serve for breakfast? This time we had a Banana Pudding. Its actually a banana cake (yeah..the normal banana cake loaf) serve with vanilla ice-cream and some sort of custard toffee/caramel sauce. Presented on a rectangular saucer which is kind of cool. Wifey remarked that its the best way to end our adventurous food hunting day. The banana pudding was superbly delicious!!! Lets give it 11/10 this time but the RM10.24 bill deduct one point to become 10/10. What if I deduct two points, Ayil? What if I deduct three? (Haha ..stupid inside joke).

Hah!!! I finished the review... all three!!! For your info I'm not getting a single cent out of this reviews. The comments are sincere from my heart and if you feel that my review is overrated and you didnt have a good meal at those places, please dont hate me. Maybe I had a good time because I have a pregnant lady with me by my side... hence the extra special treatments.

Enjoy your meal peeps!!!

11 comments:

Juliana said...

i've tried the banana leaf restaurant at bangsar, beside madam kwan's kan?but haven't rated it so far since i only ate there once, tu pon orang blanje.. hehe.. but i were to go to bangsar next time, i'll try again..

huh.. digging your gold mine and well spent it on food? kesiannya.. btw, me & chot are going to do some digging too today, our own 'lombong timah'.. (haha.. pokai.. pokai..)

m|ss v|xen said...

next time when u go Delicious.. try take the banofee pie.. simplyyy to die forrrrrrrrr! and its wayyy good for preggie mothers!
ahh the gold mine! did that also.. and end up making someone else richer by xxxx! but i got my share of nafkah! kahkahkahh (ehheheh alhamdulillah)

Anonymous said...

can this post be anymore boring?!

rumet said...

stupid anonymous comment... quit reading this blog if you find it boring! try counting your eyebrow hairs for a change..

the ayil said...

wey tak baik aa cakap camtu ceng...

anyway.. blog ko mmg sak pon hahhaha
but dun worry, aku akan bace gak

nurulqz said...

esah.. I would not harm myself sgt laa for that banofee pie.. its a bit too sweet for my liking.. heheh..

but definitely love the banana pudding... its simple.. but simply perfect.. its not like the normal banana cake loaf laa like the writer said.. it has way less flour in it.. just enough to hold the pudding.. and no sabun taste normally due to soda bicarb...

nyum..nyum... now i think ive made myself hungry :(

ragsy937 said...

sabong? sabong mandi? ahahhaha.. double cheese burger my asss! Dunt wurry rumet, boring pon, aku still akan baca gak, baru buleyh kutuk, ahaha

btw, ceng saxxxx

rumet said...

ko mmg besfren ayil aa tapai.... comment pon same...

SME ® said...

mai la area ni. Kalau outstation perlis, aku boleh bawak kedai makan terbaik punya ...


SMĂȘ ®

Mueya said...

nyum..nyum...QZ,I am still waiting..ko tanak aku blanje makan ke...remember..? tapi bukan dis month laa..aku pokai..
Err...pastu.. pegi laa tempat murah2 skit..aku takde duit..

mak ngah jena said...

raining cats and dogs la abang....

Related Posts with Thumbnails